Monday, August 1, 2011

Athens, Greece to Rome, Italy

Bonjourno!
This morning we woke up and got all dressed for church. Then we walked to this little tiny building and had sacrament with the few members in the Athens branch. There are just as many If not more, missionaries than members. It's great though. They were all so sweet and we wore these translation devices so we could understand. It's so cool how the gospel is the same no matter where you go :)
After church we went to this museum. Not too sure what it was but it was next to the acropolis. At this point, all museums start looking the same. But it's still really cool. 
After that, some of us went on a hunt for our last good gyro :( we found some good ones and then we went shopping. 
K we found some really great deals and cool stuff. I wish I had an endless supply of money to buy stuff for people. Ended the shopping trip with nothing other than gelato. It was blueberry cheesecake. I typically hate blueberries but this was freaking delicious. 
We left Athens, got on a plane and headed to Rome. One thing: never use Easy Jet airlines. I'm sure it was cheap but also super crappy. One carry on. No personal item. Security is insane. You have to take your electronics out of their covers and our director got taken into questioning because of the buckle on his shoe. It kept beeping in the metal detector thing. Ridiculous. Oh and then they don't give you even drinks but they can sell you giant things of perfume. This was a 2 hour flight and we didn't get so much as a peanut or candy. On our 25 minute flight we got candy and a drink. Anywho. It was frustrating. 
Then after waiting an hour for them to put our luggage on the belt thing we finally started heading out. 
Alright so I may have overpacked. A lot. If I don't look like a diva tourist, I don't know what does. My bag was too full at the airport the first time so I had to put stuff in my backpack. It's completely full with my quad scriptures (why I didn't just use the ones on my phone...I couldn't tell ya) and clothes. Brown big bag on one arm and rockin the side bag along with my 50 pound suitcase. Disaster on ice. 
So because I have every item I've ever owned attached to my body, of course we'd have to walk 40 miles to our hotel. Picture this: 30 BYU kids and 2 other families packed in a nice cluster hauling 4 weeks of luggage and souvenirs around a foreign airport. we tried the metro but it was closed cause it was 10 at night. So we drug all of our stuff down these giant staircases to the metro an had to drag them back up. My method: get a head start and run up the stairs prayin you have enough momentum to get you up and not fall back down. I was the epitome of rolly backpack girl running across campus.
We finally got to the train thing which was actually open. I felt like I was on Harry Potter. Then we drug our stuff up some more staircases to the busses. We're all like 5 centimeters away from each other and I had a serious case of the midnight crazies. I was crying. From laughter. Nothing was funny but I was crying from laughing so hard. I'm glad these people love me!
We got off the bus and it was literally like a mile to our hotel. I have calluses today from dragging my suitcase around. I'm over it. 
That's my phrase for this trip "I'm over it". I can't feel my feet and I'm dying of heat exhaustion...I'm over it. 
Overall: crazy day but I'm in Rome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment