You guys...can you believe I've almost been here for 2 weeks??? I have 2 weeks left! It's insane to think that something I looked forward to for so long is almost done. I've loved every second though.
We started off in Delphi this morning and took a 4 hour bus ride to Meteora. Literally translated it means "hanging in the sky" like meteor. And it had that name for a reason. There are beautiful monasteries on top of these gigantic hillsides. It kinda looks like Moab. But better. They don't know how the monks got the materials up there to build those beautiful buildings. Some theories are that they hiked up there with pegs or that they sent up a kite with a rope and then a bigger rope and so on. I don't understand it and I think that adds to the beauty but it's incredible. Only males could live there. Male monks, male kitties, everything. And they couldn't leave either. So they have like a pantry full of skulls and bones from past monks. It's pretty sweet.
When you look down from up there its like a rainforest. So much to see and so much green! It's amazing!!
I know that I say everything is so cool but this has been my favorite ancient place so far.
The plumbing isn't exactly the best in Greece. Especially up on a giant cliff. You can't flush toilet paper anywhere I've been yet. You throw everything away in a trash can next to the toilet. It's sick. But it's cause the plumbing sucks here. Maybe in Italy I'll have the privilege of flushing again. Sometimes there's just a piece of marble with foot sticky things and a hole in the ground and you squat and let it happen. It's super Nast.
By the way...everything here is made of marble. That's like a delicacy for us but they have tons of it. And no wood. Wood is a delicacy for them. It's funny. And slippery.
After Meteora, we had another 6 hour bus ride back to Athens. It was awful. I had a bad case of bus fever by hour 4. So Morghen and I proceeded to create a dance party which soon involved nearly the entire bus. It was getting wild. It all started with a little bit of my girl Shania (Twain).
Then we played "which boy is more attractive due to his knowledge of country music". Which ended in the whole world assuming I'm the biggest hick if their lives. Apparently they wouldn't last a second in Elko. ;) I'll defend Elko til the day I die. I love it.
It wad getting real crazy on the bus though. The BYU contract tells us that nothing is going to happen between and one female and male in this group during the duration of this trip but Biology tells us otherwise. Hahaha. Just kidding. Sort of. There's just a lot of sexual tension on the bus. Especially after 10 hours. I swear they are letting extra hormones enter our bodies via the "air conditioner" After so many hours on a bus. It's really amusing.
We finally got off the bus alive and mostly sane and then we went on a hunt for nothing other than...ice cream!! We went to downtown Athens and got some ice cream then went up to see the riots. They're crazy. And angry. Lots of police with giant shields and sticks everywhere.
Then we watched the changing of the guard. That's awesome. You have to be at least 6"1 to be in the guard and you basically stand and protect the big house behind you. There are only 2 of them at a time. So they switch dudes every hour. They march half a mile up the street from their hiding spot to the house, dance around in their pom pom shoes, yell some crap and then change. It's kinda cool. And weird. They don't blink. Or talk. But we could take pictures with them. But you have to be appropriate with them. That was rough. I just wanted to be really immature and poke him or something. But no worries, I refrained. I'm just wondering now how they don't blink with all that flashing in their eyes. Ouch. Hi. Ouch.
Did I ever talk about my latest roommate, Kyra? She's great also. Big surprise. She is 25 I do believe. From Provo. She's a flight attendant from SkyWest and she stays in Elko. She said she hates it but she stays at Red Lion. I say no wonder. Its probs cause you went to the Coffee Garden. Big no no. She's really pretty though. I'm pretty sure she's the baby in her fam. Not too sure but I like her.
Now I'm back in my hotel. The one we stayed in the other night. And I'm going to sleep! Good night. Love y'all!
No comments:
Post a Comment