Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Santorini, Greece

You guys. I just had the BEST day of my life. (I just had the best day of my life and you sat here doing homework. How does that make you feel? ;) )
I don't even know where to begin!!! Probs at the top. K so heres the deal: we had all day to do whatsoever we pleased so we set off. I went with like 12 other people and we ran around like crazy. I kid you not, when we had a chance to break and even now, my head is spinning.
So we ate some breakfast and decided we wanted to go on the boat tour to the middle of Santorini. For those of you that don't know, Santorini is a volcano! The middle still remains and the outside too but the part in between sunk into the ocean. That's why it's built on the side of a cliff. And it literally just drops down. It's sweet. So we decided to go see the volcano. 
Wait...I need to preface all of this. So we're on an island we've never been to before half way across the world, let loose. I'd just like to comment on how impressed I am with the boys (especially dad's) sense of direction. No street signs, no even real roads. The main street is like a one way street. Real confusing. But not once did we get lost. All thanks to dad. Dad is Andrew. Cause he kept all of his sheep in the herd and safe. We did start out the day with 2 big rules which later developed into 3. 1: check your attitude at the door. 2: have the time of your life. That guaranteed a great day. I seriously love and appreciate all of these people I'm only beginning to know and love. Anyways...
We bought our tickets and then went to the black sand beach. So cool. We swam around by that beach for a while, bought us some peach rings (new addiction) and water and caught the bus to the top of the cliff above our boat tour. 
Busses in Santorini: sketchy. Old smelly men throwing you around trying to get your euro and sixty cents that they apparently rightfully deserve. We all got close on the bus and I don't mean emotionally. We were all up on each other's grills. Oh and I totes did the bus thing like 6 times today. Def an experience I'll never forget. 
So we get to the top and ride a cable car to the dock. We got on our pirate looking boat and headed out to sea. 
We hit up this weird cove thing where we swam over to this orangish color water and it was all warm from the volcanic stuff. It was rad. 
Then they dropped us off at the bottom of the middle of the volcano and we had to pay to get into the "national park" of the volcano to hike to our death. I actually love paying to be in pain. My fav. It was a rough hike and dad didn't mention we'd be hiking a volcano. I thought we were just going to the beach. Silly little me. It wasn't that bad though. But I mean this is coming from the girl who hiked to a cave and camped in the middle of winter and climbed a waterfall barefoot. I can do anything ;)
So I hiked this volcano in flip flops. It was so sweet though. The view was gorgeous. I would recommend it to anyone. 
We hiked back down and got back on our boat and went to the shore. And I rode a DONKEY back up! It was so cool. My lil fellas name was Chester (as decided by me). He was a trooper. And it was like a 12 minute ride to the top of this giant cliff with insane switchbacks. But it was so fun. Seriously that was probs the most fun.
We all ran back to the hotel to get all nice to go to the other side of the island, Oia. It's beautiful. We sat at this little cafe with front row seats of the sunset. It was beautiful. That's something everyone has to see at some point. It was so chill and indescribable really.
I took so many pictures. Can't wait to show them all off! We walked back and now I'm sitting here reminiscing. I love my life. 
I said from "acceptance" day that this would be the best day of my life. I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment