Thursday, August 11, 2011

From Geneva, Switzerland to Bern, Switzerland

I'm in love. With Switzerland. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen! And it takes a lot to beat Santorini and Hawaii. But this tops it. 
Sometimes when I see all of these beautiful places and I don't even take a picture. Purposefully though. It just makes me sad to look at them because the pictures do them no justice. 
It's so green here with water as clear as the water in Turkey and Greece. It's the best of both worlds. 
We woke up this morning and hopped on the bus to go to the reformers wall. It was super cool. Giant statues of the reformers in a beautiful park. Also in the park were giant chess and checker sets. They were really fun. And there was a playground. With a merry go round, swings, and a teeter totter. Of course this girl jumped on. It was the coolest park of my lifee!
We got back on the bus and went back to the place where we were last night, the downtown part. There is a 500 foot fountain there. It's super cool. It was originally developed to relieve water pressure but it's so cool that they kept it. Its so tall. That's like almost 3 leaning towers of Pisa. Craaaazzy. It was off last night cause the wind was blowing and when it blows the fountain soaks the world but it was great today. 
Back to the bus to the United Nations! We got a tour of it and it was awesome. We sat in the big conference rooms and watched some of the people around the world discuss important stuff. Interestingly enough there was a woman representing Iran. As well as the United States :)
The prominent language in switzerland is French. Followed probably by English but it's so cool. Finally high school is being put into real life. I guess I wasn't lied to when they told me going regularly would come in handy. 
After our lovely tour we went to Coop, the grocery store. Yay!! Got some food and then headed to Nestle for our last business visit! Nestle headquarters is right off the shore of Lake Geneva and surrounded by green grass. Huge beautiful building. I don't know how people get anything done there. I would just stare out the window all day. 
They gave us a tour and nestle is crazy. It gives acquisition a whole new meaning. Everything is nestle. Look at what you're eating or what your pet is eating. I bet it has a nestle brand or some sort of affiliation with nestle. They do water, catfood, foreign foods, hot pockets, lean cuisine, digornios, everything. Even kit kat!! I bet you thought that was Hershey's. Wrong. Hershey's is the distributor in the US. Crazy huh?
Then some guy talked to us and we left with bags of chocolate. Yumm. 
Next was our "group activity". You know what that means! Surprise!! So we pull up to this beautiful castle in the shore called Chateou de Chillon. We explored for an hour or so. It was actually really awesome. So many places to go and hide. It was such a nice day too. Probably 75 degrees. Few clouds inthe sky. So pretty!
Then we were back on the object I have dedicated my life to: the bus. We drove for an hourish to Bern and it was new roommate time!!
My original roommate was supposed to be Alexis. She's 20 somethin. She actually goes to the U of U but I guess the study abroads are really sketchy there so she applied and now she's with us! She majored in exercise science and graduated this last April I do believe. She's really sweet. However, Kira and Alexis are besties and Morghen and I are really close and Alexis and I were supposed to be roommates And Kira and Morghen were supposed to be roommates but we switched. So Morghen was my roommate for the 4th time :)
After we got there we decided we wanted to go explore so we walked around and saw what was around. There's not a lot in Bern. It's pretty modern. So we went back to the room and changed and went back out to do a photo shoot. Just me and Morghen. In the metro station. Late at night. Taking pictures. It was so much fun though. I meditated in my genie pants on top of the newspaper stand. Crazy stuff like that. It was great. We also got in this passport photo booth thing and took pictures. The first one got frozen and took a picture of us looking like 12 year olds with a Christmas card background. But we did some cooler ones. 
We couldn't just let that go to waste though. So we went back to our hotel, made a fort and turned the lights out and wrote with our left hands "Meery Chrismus. Love Morghen and Hilary" then we went and delivered it to Tyler because we thought he'd appreciate it. We knocked on the door and left the card on the ground and hid. Mike answered the door and started laughing. So we did too and then we went in and gave it to Tyler and chilled in there for a bit. I'm not sure he appreciated it like he should have but they liked it. 
We went back and chased Kelly around our rooms with a creepy voice because they were connected and talked. Now we're heading to bed!
You guys. I'm so trunky. I'm not a missionary but I hope I can still say that. I miss home. This craziness has been the time of my life. But I need stability. And my family and friends!! I can't wait to see all of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment