Saturday, August 13, 2011

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

K so remember how I said that our hotel was supposed to be the "rustic" one? Well this morning at breakfast we had bacon and eggs!! Europe doesn't believe in warm breakfast foods!! It was a Christmas miracle. Even if I hate bacon. It was so nice to see it. 
After breakfast I went with my roommate Kristin to the grocery store and then at 12 we set off on our hike. 
We (Mike, kristin, yulee, Ryan, the bryants, Chelsea, harmony and I) started with a prayer and then straight up the mountain side. 
This was brutal. It was crazy switchbacks. Super steep and we started with a crazy pace. That combined with the super high altitude and asthma was a death sentence for me. There were so many times when I really thought I couldn't go any further but we made it to the first town in an hour. Supposed to take us an hour and a half. And I have this thing where I push myself really hard to do things I don't think I can. So obviously I didn't give up :) it got a little easier but then it got super steep again. My legs and back and butt were burning. But all of the beautiful sights along the way were worth it. It was so my element. I love the outdoors and I love exploring. 
It was brutal but I made it. We stopped at the top and opposite side of the mountain next to our hotel. It was an incredible view of "The Top of Europe" as it's called. Thats the 3 tallest peaks in Europe: the Monch, Jungfrau, and Eiger. The view was incredible. We were sitting eight in front of them and could easily and in great detail see the 3 peaks. It was incredible. All of the pain and sweat and lack of air was worth it. 
We made it up in about 3 and a half hours. We took a 40ish minute break at the top and then went back down. It was so steep that there were many parts where we had to run. It was insane. And just as we were finishing, it started to drizzle. It was absolutely perfect. I'm so glad I did it though. I was so proud of myself. And who can say that they hiked one of the craziest places in the Swiss alps? This girl. :)
I was exhausted afterwards. Running down a mountain side is crazy on your knees and feet. We got back a little baby bit before 7 and just as I was taking my shoes off Morghen came in and we walked to the grocery store. I had some delicious carrots. Yumm. 
Then we came back and went to this cute little folklore thing across from our hotel. I loved it. It's those little things that make me love a town. I love Elko because of the small things it does like the rodeo and fair and art in the park. This folklore thing sealed the deal for me. I love Switzerland. I legit wouldn't mind living here. It's my fav. 
We came back to my room and pigged out and watched J shore and chilled. It felt so nice. Unbelievably nice. 
My roommates: Alexis and Kristin. I talked about Alexis cause we were supposed to be rookies previously but Kristin is a junior I do believe. She's super sweet. I really like her. She's so athletic too. She didn't train at all for a marathon and ran 22 miles straight, took a break and finished it. Who does that? She's awesome. 
Switzerland is heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment