Thursday, August 4, 2011

Take three: Rome, Italy

What a long and amazing day. Woke up at like 6 am which is about 9 pm in Elko. Just FYI. Ate some breakfast which in Italy means eat carbs until you die of obesity. Seriously everything is carbs. At least its good i guess! Then we headed to Pompeii. 
It was a 3 hour drive during which I listened to music. I have like 15 songs on my iPod cause I just haven't had time to put any more on so I hope someone is keeping tabs on good music for me to listen to when I get back. 
We arrived in Pompeii and immediately saw mount Vesuvius which erupted and killed some 2,000 people. The city is super cool though because they had no idea the volcano was coming and when it hit, everything just froze. The ash preserved the city. There are over 1,100 bodies that were recovered out of the 2,000 that are frozen in positions either crawling, running or assuming the fetal position. It's pretty cool. Most of the stuff we see has to be redone but Pompeii is a city that has been well preserved so no remodeling necessary. There were over 40 brothels in the town. Kinda reminded me of home. <3 Mona's Ranch <3. It was really awesome. I liked it lots. And surprisingly it was really big. 
We had a little time after so we went and had some pizza. There was this guy that wanted us to buy something and I was with Melanie (red head), Kelly(blonde) and Danielle and he goes "Chiao Ginger!" to Melanie. Here they always ask where we're from and  tell us what we look like. On our way back he goes "Chaio Barbie!" to Kelly. it was pretty funny. I keep getting comments on how I look Portuguese. Def not Portuguese but thanks haha. Then after we searched for a WC (water closet) (aka bathroom). On the way to the WC I spotted these giant dudes. Literally over 7 feet tall. They turned around and I realized it was the Lopez twins, the NBA players from the Nets and the Suns! So I go to Italy and find famous American athletes. What the heck. It was cool though. They were super tall. We got a picture and moved on cause we were drawing attention to those poor boys. 
We got back on the bus and headed to Naples. Naples or Napoli had a ton of garbage everywhere from the garbage strikes. Tyler said it was kind of the ghetto of Italy. Sketchy. But we went to this museum that had paintings from the ancient city of Pompeii. It had a beauty and the beast staircase. So of course we had a moment with that and then got back on the bus. 
We stopped at a Carrefour on our way back to Rome. Carrefour is like the Walmart on steroids of Europe. It has all the stuff Walmart has but at a better quality and even lower prices. It's great. I haven't seen a grocery store since I've been here so being able to buy little things and snacks was heaven. 
When we got back to Rome, Morghen, Danielle, Yulee, Ryan, Tyler and myself went on the other side of the river to go to what was said to be "the best pizza place in Rome". It was crazy getting there though. Good thing Tyler speaks Italian because we needed quite a bit of directional help. We finally found it in this back ally way and there was like an hour wait so we went back  to this gelatto place and had dessert before dinner. Italians are obsessed with nutella. They put it in errything. It's so old though! The only sad thing is that there is no peanut butter!! That's what I'll be most excited to have back in the states. 
We sat in this piazza around this beautiful fountain and ate our gelatto while it rained a little bit and music played in the background. It was the most romantic thing in the world. I love Italy. 
We went back and ate our pizza which was freaking delicious. I'm not a big pizza fan but I loved this one. Probably the best I've ever had. 
After we ate we waddled across the bridge and stood over the river. It was one of the prettiest things. And again uber romantic. That's Italy for you! There were so many people out on the streets too. Partying and just walking around. 
My roommates!! Harmony and Sandra have been my roomies for the last 4 days. Harmony is from Tennessee and a business major. I'm pretty sure she graduates in December. Sandra was the girl who had a birthday on the trip. She turned 23. She's from Utah and she's on this trip with her sister. This is her second study abroad. I believe she went to London before. They're both great. It's so nice to have chill roommates that let you sleep and don't bounce off the wall. They were fin :)
We went back to the hotel and did some of our case study stuff for our business visit tomorrow and at 2 I'm finally heading to bed. Boo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment